FÁS has responsibility for providing labour market services for disabled people, assisting with finding paid employment or preparing for employment through a training or employment programme.
If you are a jobseeker who is deaf, hard of hearing or has a speech impairment and are attending job interviews, you may apply for funding to have a sign language interpreter or other interpreter to attend the interview with you. Funding can also be provided to cover the costs of an interpreter during an induction period when you start work.
FÁS will pay a fee as per the standard rate for a 3-hour period using a professionally qualified interpreter. Travel costs for the interpreter are paid at a set rate. Rates will be differentiated between professionally qualified interpreters and others.
You can apply for the Job Interview Interpreter grant if you:
- Are deaf or hard of hearing or have a significant speech impairment;
- Are actively seeking employment or just started employment;
- Feel you would benefit from having a sign language interpreter and/or other interpreter present at job interviews or for an induction period.
The jobseeker sources and selects the sign language interpreter or other interpreter as appropriate. Interpreters can be friends, family members or professionally qualified sign language interpreters. Sign language interpreter services may be sourced locally or provided through:
Sign Language Interpreting Service (Irish Sign Link)
work Tel/Minicom: +353 (01) 413 9670
work Tel/Text: +353 (01) 087 904 6594
- The jobseeker or newly hired employee contacts their local FÁS Office to obtain and complete an application form;
- The Application Form is brought to the interview or the induction programme and signed and stamped by the employer and interpreter;
- On return of the application form, payment is made directly to the interpreter or to Irish Sign Link as appropriate.
If you are a disabled person or an employer and you need further information about the Job Interview Interpreter Grant or other schemes, contact your local FÁS Office.