FÁS has responsibility for providing labour market services for disabled people, assisting with finding paid employment or preparing for employment through a training or employment programme.
If you are a disabled person who has been offered employment or are in employment, and require a more accessible workplace or adapted equipment to do your job, you or your employer may be able to get a grant from FÁS towards the costs of adapting premises or equipment.
Examples of adaptations for which a grant may be given are:
- Minor building modifications such as ramps or modified toilets;
- Alarm systems with flashing lights;
- Equipment adaptation such as voice synthesisers for computers or amplifiers for telephones.
A maximum grant of €6348.70 is available towards the cost of adaptations to premises or equipment. This grant can also be used to upgrade adapted equipment funded previously.
You or your employer can apply for this grant if you:
- Have been offered employment in the private sector and require an adaptation to equipment or premises to undertake the duties required;
- Are in employment, or recently changed jobs, and require an adaptation to equipment or premises to undertake the duties required;
- Are self-employed.
- You or your employer contacts their local FÁS office to obtain an Application Form;
- The applicant identifies the equipment and/or adaptation needed, justifying why it is needed and submits quotations;
- FÁS and the applicant review the application;
- FÁS pays a grant to the applicant to cover the costs agreed (download the VAT Reclaim Form).
If you are a disabled person or an employer and you need further information about the Workplace Equipment/Adaptation Grant or other schemes, contact your local FÁS Office.