Local Employment Service
Ireland's National Employment Service (NES) consists of 2 strands, Employment Services and the Local Employment Service (LES) which operates mainly through Local Area Partnership Companies on contract from Employment Services, Department of Social Protection.
The objective of the LES is to focus on the provision of services to those most disadvantaged in the labour market as a direct response to the local context within which it operates.
The Local Employment Service Network (LESN) act as the gateway, or access point, to the full range of opportunities which are available to enable a long-term unemployed person enter/re-enter the labour market. The services provided by LESN are tailored to the needs of each individual client and the local environment within which they operate. Services provided include guidance, training, education and employment supports and are made available through a network of Contact Points.
Key Services include:
- Labour Market information: Provision of information and advise on areas that relate to the client labour market situation, such as welfare-to-work issues, education, employment and training opportunities, including referral to related services.
- Mediation and Guidance: Registration and orientation; provision of intensive personalised guidance leading to development of a career path plan; career counselling; referral to other LESNs or third party agencies; assistance with securing active labour market programmes and employment; post-placement supports.
- Group Guidance: Provision of tailored options to meet the needs of a specific client group.
- Client-Employer Liaison: Contact with employers, identification of vacancies suited to clients and potential training needs; advocating on behalf of clients; information and referral to job vacancies.
- Post-Employment Programme Assistance: Provision of the full range of LESN supports to persons experiencing difficulty in accessing employment from labour market programmes.
- Post-Training/Education Programme Assistance: Provision of the full range of LESN supports to persons experiencing difficulty in accessing employment from employment related training or education.
The LES operates through a network of Offices and outreach centres located in 25 designated disadvantaged areas – 24 Partnership areas and one non-Partnership area (Kildare).
Mid West (Limerick)
North East (Cavan, Louth, Meath, Monaghan)
South East (Carlow, Kilkenny, Tipperary South, Waterdord, Wexford, Wicklow)
South West (Cork, Kerry)
West (Galway, Mayo, Roscommon)
Midlands (Kildare, Laois, Longford, Offaly, Westmeath)